The 7th part of 'HTBYM' has been published on Literotica this morning and within the first hour I received this comment:
billy2002 has commented on your story How to Break Your Man Pt. 07
“The Dean part of the chapter was not, IMHO, your best work. It seemed to be, let’s just get rid of Dean quick. I loved that Amy reconnected 😂 with Rick. I hope the next guy Amy finds is more the man she and Rick need.”
I actually agree with this to a degree, I think the second half of the story does feel a little rushed and the last couple of chapters even more so. But I thought that even when I was writing it and I tried to slow it down, but I couldn't really work out how to do it without just filling it with padding that people would want to skip, especially on repeat reads.
It's difficult because at the start there's so much to say, but once things get rolling the focus changes. It becomes more about 'what happens' rather than the tension between Amy and Rick we see at the start. So yeah, I get it and I would totally understand if someone told me they like the earlier chapters better.
There's also this feeling when I am writing big stories, that I want to get it finished before it ends up being filed away in the 'Story Ideas' folder for years! Anyway, I'm still pretty happy with it, and nobody's 'paying' to read it.
Funnily enough when I was getting close to finishing this I did wonder about maybe getting it published by Femdom Cave or something (if that still exists) or self-publishing it through Amazon or something. But then I thought, okay, let's say some people buy it, how much money is that actually going to generate? Not a huge amount, but probably enough that I would need to declare it for tax purposes.
Do I really want the aggro of explaining where £200-300 came from? Do I really want to have to fill in tax forms every year because I have this random income? No. So I decided to just put it on Literotica. After all, I'm not doing this for money, my only concern is that at some point some asshole uses my text to create a 'product', I've already noticed some authors complaining about this on Literotica, but I really don't know what can possibly be done about that. In a way it's flattering, but still very annoying I'm sure.
At the moment, all the parts except 'Part 5' have 'HOT' ratings, which is great! The only thing is that as yet it doesn't appear on my author page, I assume this is because it is only partly published. If you view the page as 'Newest First' it's not there at all, but if you change it to 'alphabetical' order then the first part is there.
It's so long since I published a multi-part story like this all in one go that I can't really remember how it works. Anyway, I'm sure they know that they are doing.
There is one issue for me: on literotica the last story is "becoming a mistress" and your new series does not show up.
ReplyDeleteYeah I saw that too, I think it's because the story hasn't finished posting and they are still putting it into a series. Actually I think most of it is there if you change it to alphabetical order (instead of newest first). I presume it will work itself out eventually
DeleteRA